oscitant \OS-i-tuhnt\, adjective:
1. Yawning, as with drowsiness; gaping.2. Drowsy or inattentive.3. Dull, lazy, or negligent.
Oscitant derives from the Latin oscitare, "to gape or yawn."
- A mind-numbing torture device made of cheap, brightly colored plastic. It resembles a horn but its pitch cannot be changed. It is being used during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
I thought I heard an angry swarm of bumblebees, but it was the sound of vuvuzelas playing at the World Cup.
- California: was claimed by Sir Francis Drake for England; he called it Nova Albion (1579)
- Battle of Bunker Hill: first great battle of the Revolutionary War began (1775)
- Statue of Liberty: gift from France arrived in New York (1885)
- Watergate: office break-in at Democratic Headquarters in Washington began a scandal that would bring down a government (1972)
- O.J. Simpson: the car chase watched by millions on TV ended in the arrest of the NFL Hall-of-Famer suspected of murdering his ex-wife, Nicole, and Ronald Goldman (1994)
- John Wesley 1703 - Cleric, Christian theologian
- James Weldon Johnson 1871 - Author, politician, diplomat, critic
- Igor Stravinski (Igor Fyodorovich Stravinsky) 1882 - Composer
- Ralph Bellamy 1904 - Actor
- Red Foley (Clyde Julian Foley) 1910 - Singer, musician, television personality
- John Hersey (John Richard Hersey) 1914 - Writer, journalist
- Stringbean (David Akeman) 1915 - Country singer
- Elroy Hirsch 1923 - Football player
- Peter Lupus 1932 - Bodybuilder, actor
- Dickie Doo 1939 - Musician (Dickie Doo and The Don'ts)
- Bobby Bell (Robert "Bobby" Lee Bell, Jr) 1940 - Football player
- Steve Clark 1943 - Musician (Def Leppard)
- Joe Piscopo (Joseph Charles John "Joe" Piscopo) 1951 - Comedian, actor
- Dave Fortier 1951 - Hockey player
- Mark Linn-Baker 1953 - Actor ("Perfect Strangers"), director
- Bobby Farrelly 1954 - Writer, director
- Thomas Haden Church 1961 - Actor
- Greg Kinnear 1963 - Actor, television personality
- Dan Jansen 1965 - Speed skater
- Jason Patric 1966 - Actor
- Kevin Thornton 1969 - Musician (Color Me Badd)
- Will Forte 1970 - Actor, comedian ("Saturday Night Live," "MacGruber")