quintessential \kwin-te-SEN-shel\, adjective:
- Being the most typical manifestation of a quality or a thing.
Quintessential translates from Latin as the "fifth element", quint "fifth" and essentia "essence." The idea of the fifth element stems from Greek and medieval alchemical beliefs in the purest essence of a substance.
- US Army: was founded to fight the British (1775)
- Bear Flag Revolt: the California Republic was declared by Sonoma settlers while California was still ruled by Mexico (1846)
- UNIVAC I: the first commercial computer was dedicated at the US Census Bureau (1951)
- Pledge of Allegiance: President Eisenhower signed the order inserting the words "under God" (1954)
- Falkland Islands: military dispute ended as Argentine forces surrendered to the British (1982)
- Boy George (George O'Dowd) 1961 - Singer (Culture Club)
- Chris DeGarmo 1963 - Musician (Queensryche)
- Yasmine Bleeth 1968 - Actress ("Baywatch")
- Steffi Graf 1969 - Tennis player
- Traylor Howard 1971 - Actress ("Monk," "Two Guys and a Girl")
- Diablo Cody 1978 - Screenwriter ("Juno")