yen \YEN\, noun:
1. A desire or craving.2. An aluminum coin and monetary unit of Japan, equal to 100 sen or 1000 rin.
1. To have a craving; yearn.
The use of yen to signify a desire, as opposed to Japanese currency, is an Americanism that probably derives from Chinese dialect, yáhn or yin, "craving."
get at me
- Short for "Get back to me" or "Get back at me", meaning "respond", or "reply".
"Mike, I hope you get this email in time. We are changing the plans from Friday to Saturday. Get at me and let me know if you can still make it."
- Ned Kelly: Australian bushranger was captured at Glenrowan; he was later hanged for murder (1880)
- Franz Ferdinand: archduke and heir to the Austrian throne was assassinated, along with his wife, in Sarajevo by a Serbian; the event precipitated WWI (1914)
- Treaty of Versailles: was signed, ending WWI (1919)
- Stonewall riots: patrons of a Greenwich Village bar resisted a police raid, sparking the gay pride movement (1969)
- Mike Tyson: boxer bit Evander Holyfield's ear during a heavyweight title fight; he lost the match and gained a 16-month suspension (1997)
- Elian González: was returned to his father in Cuba (2000)
- Slobodan Milosevic: former Yugoslavian leader was turned over to the UN war crimes tribunal (2001)
- Iraqi Interim Government: took power after US handover (2004)