tantivy \tan-TIV-ee\, adjective:
1. Swift; rapid.
1. At full gallop.
1. A rush, a gallop or stampede.
- 1. (used as a hunting cry when the chase is at full speed.)
Tantivy, while associated with many aspects of horseback riding, is of unknown origin.
- A poser. Someone who professes to live one style of life but reality tells a much different story. Used as a diss in freestyleraping to describe someone who claims to be a thug or hard but is very much the opposite.
Guy 1- "Yo', Ja Rule is the realest nigga representin' the streets!"
Guy 2- "Hell no he ain't! He's a halfway crook"
- Wimbledon: the precursor to the tennis tournament first began; only Gentlemen's Singles was played (1877)
- cross of gold: William Jennings Bryan delivered a speech to the Democratic National Convention supporting bimetallism, advocating a silver standard in addition to the gold standard (1896)
- Johnny Weissmuller: swam 100 meters freestyle in 58.6 seconds, thus breaking the minute barrier (1922)
- Grateful Dead: psychedelic rock-country-jazz band played its last concert, a month before the death of lead singer Jerry Garcia (1995)
- Midsummer Classic: MLB All-Star game ended in a tie after 11 innings; both sides had run out of pitchers (2002)
- Ann Radcliffe 1764
- Ottorino Respighi 1879
- Clara Bow 1907 - Actress (Down to the Sea in Ships, The Plastic Age)
- Harold C. Fox 1910
- Leonard Pennario 1924
- Red Kelly 1927
- Ed Ames 1927 - Actor, musician (The Ames Brothers)
- Lee Hazlewood 1929
- Jesse McReynolds 1929
- Chris Cooper 1951 - Actor
- John Tesh 1952 - Musician, television personality
- David Ball 1953
- Frank Bello 1965 - Musician (Anthrax)
- Scott Grimes 1971 - Actor
- Enrique Murciano 1973 - Actor ("Without a Trace")
- Jack White 1975 - Musician (White Stripes)