balneal \bal-NEE-uhl\, adjective:
- Of or pertaining to baths or bathing.
- An extra bill of higher denomination set aside for emergency funds. usually stored under the battery of a cellular phone.
- 1057 - Macbeth, the King of Scotland, was killed by the son of King Duncan.
- 1848 - The dental chair was patented by M. Waldo Hanchett.
- 1911 - The product Crisco was introduced by Procter & Gamble Company.
- 1944 - The Allied forces of World War II landed in southern France.
- 1945 - The Allies proclaimed V-J Day a day after Japan agreed to surrender unconditionally.
- 1947 - India became independent from Britain and was divided into the countries of India and Pakistan. India had been under British about 200 years.
- 1961 - East German workers began construction of the Berlin Wall.
- 2001 - Astronomers announced the discovery of the first solar system outside our own. They had discovered two planets orbiting a star in the Big Dipper.
- Napoleon Bonaparte 1769
- Sir Walter Scott 1771
- Ethel Barrymore 1879
- Edna Ferber 1887
- T.E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia") 1888
- Bill Baird 1904
- Hugo Winterhalter 1909
- Julia Child 1912
- Wendy Hiller 1912
- Huntz Hall 1919
- Rose-Marie 1923
- Robert Bolt 1924
- Don Rich 1941
- Debra Messing 1968
- Ben Affleck 1972