distrain \dih-STREYN\, verb:
- To seize the property of (a person) in order to compel payment of debts.
- To levy a distress upon.
Distrain is ultimately a combination of two Latin roots, dis, "apart," and stringere, "to draw tight."
- When you wake up and feel energized but as soon as you enter the work place, a wave of exhaustion runs over you and you have trouble staying awake for the rest of your work day. Amazingly, once you leave the hellish work atmosphere, you suddenly feel energized and ready to run a marathon.
As soon as I sat down at my desk this morning, cubicle coma came over me and I immediately passed out. An IV coffee drip could not pull me out of it but as soon as I walked out to go home, I felt like I could do an iron man.
- William Wallace: Scottish nationalist who opposed British rule, and on whom Braveheart was based, was executed in London (1305)
- Franklin: area that is now part of Tennessee seceded from North Carolina; it failed to win acceptance as one of the United States (1784)
- Rudolph Valentino: death of the 31-year-old silent screen sex symbol known as the quintessential Latin lover caused mass hysterical mourning (1926)
- Sacco and Vanzetti: Italian-American anarchists were executed by electric chair for murder during an armed robbery; questions about the fairness of their trial remain (1927)
- Louis XVI (France) 1754
- Oliver Hazard Perry 1785
- Edgar Lee Masters 1869
- Gene Kelly 1912
- Bob Crosby (The Bob Cats) 1913
- Tex Williams 1917
- Jean Darling 1925
- Peter Thompson 1929
- Vera Miles 1930
- Mark Russell 1932
- Barbara Eden 1934 - Actress ("I Dream of Jeannie")
- Sonny Jurgensen 1934
- Rudy Lewis (Drifters) 1936
- Ronnie Cox 1938
- Tony Bill 1940
- Richard Sanders 1940
- Patricia McBride 1942
- Antonia Novello 1944
- Rex Allen Jr. 1947
- Keith Moon 1947 - Musician (The Who)
- Shelley Long 1949 - Actress
- Rick Springfield 1949 - Actor / Singer
- Woody Paul (Riders in the Sky) 1949
- Mark Hudson 1951
- Jimi Jamison 1951 - Musician (Survivor)
- Bobby G. (Bucks Fizz) 1953
- Dean DeLeo (Stone Temple Pilots) 1961
- Shaun Ryder (Happy Mondays, Black Grape) 1962
- River Phoenix 1970
- Jay Mohr 1971
- Ray Park 1974 (Darth Maul)
- Kobe Bryant 1978 - Basketball player
- Joanne Froggatt 1980 - Actress ("Downton Abbey")
. . .