Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Review Tuesday: ZZ Top and Govt Mule at Jones Beach Theater, September 9, 2016



 A couple years ago I went to see a show at Jones Beach and they were selling discount tickets for upcoming shows. I nabbed some ZZ Top tixx for only $20 a pop. Then Dusty Hill fell down in the tour bus and the show was cancelled. Jones Beach Theater NEVER did the right thing and paid me back for the cancelled show. SHAME ON THEM! But ZZ Top was back around this year, so I finally got to see these Southern gentlemen perform. Hell, Groupon had the tixx for $20, how can I resist? The price of these tickets and the previous ones together were still worth it!


GOV'T MULE
Gov't Mule is a side project of guitarist Warren Haynes and bassist Allen Moody from The Allman Brothers Band. Basically they are a southern rock jam-band. A lot of talent there. Since we got to the show a bit after 8PM, they were already performing. I think from 8:15 - 8:45 they played about three or four long jams and departed the stage. I am not familiar with their material so I cannot say what they played, though a lot of it sounded like tastes of other songs.


ZZ TOP
By 9:15 ZZ Top hit the stage and went immediately into their first song...


Setlist 
  1. Got Me Under Pressure
  2. Waitin' for the Bus
  3. Jesus Just Left Chicago
  4. Gimme All Your Lovin'
  5. Pincushion
  6. I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide
  7. I Gotsta Get Paid
  8. Rough Boy
  9. Foxy Lady (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
  10. Catfish Blues (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
  11. Sixteen Tons (Tennessee Ernie Ford cover)
  12. Cheap Sunglasses
  13. Chartreuse
  14. Sharp Dressed Man
  15. Legs
Encore:
  1. La Grange / Sloppy Drunk Jam
  2. Tush
They performed for approximately 1.25 - 1.50 hours and were off the stage at an early 10:35 or there about. Their sound was good and clean, while messy and sloppy, as is the ZZ Top way. To me, these guys haven't aged since the 80s. They look the same, and sound the same. They play all the notes and then some. They don't make it dumb or dull it down. These guys can jam and continue doing so. It was a great show and I'm glad I finally got to see them perform.
.

0 comments: