caterwaul \KAT-uhr-wawl\, intransitive verb:
1. To make a harsh cry.2. To have a noisy argument.
1. A shrill, discordant sound.
Caterwaul is from Middle English caterwawen, "to cry as a cat," either from Medieval Dutch kater, "tomcat" + Dutch wauwelen, "to tattle," or for catawail, from cat-wail, "to wail like a cat."
What the actual fuck?
An expression of surprise or confusion used when what the fuck is insufficient to convey the magnitude of the situation. The increasingly flippant use and associated devaluation of the query 'what the fuck?' has necessitated the creation a more heart-felt derivative.
"What the actual fuck are you doing?"
"Have you seen Russell's beard yet?"
"Yeah... what the actual fuck?"
- The superlative of donovanesque.
- War of the Worlds: Orson Welles' radio broadcast purported to deliver news of a fictional Martian invasion; outrage and panic ensued (1930)
- Tsar Bomba: the largest and most powerful nuclear weapon ever tested was detonated by the Soviet Union over the Arctic archipelago of Novaya Zemlya (1961)
- the rumble in the jungle: Muhammad Ali knocked out George Foreman for the world heavyweight title (1974)
- Quebec: voters opted to stay part of Canada by a hair's-breadth majority of 50.6% to 49.4% (1995)
- John Adams (U.S.) 1735
- Richard Sheridan 1751
- Alfred Sisley 1839
- Ezra Pound 1885
- Charles Atlas 1893
- Ruth Gordon 1896
- Sue Carol 1907
- Gordon Parks 1912
- Fred Friendly 1915
- Joe Adcock 1927
- Louis Malle 1932
- Hamilton Camp 1934
- Dick Vermeil 1936
- Dick Gautier 1937
- Claude Lelouch 1937
- Eddie Holland 1939
- Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane/Starship) 1939
- Ed Lauter 1940
- Otis Williams (The Temptations) 1941
- Henry Winkler 1945
- Timothy B. Schmidt (Poco, The Eagles) 1947
- Harry Hamlin 1951
- Charles Martin Smith 1953
- T. Graham Brown 1954
- Kevin Pollak 1958
- Joey Belladonna 1960 (Anthrax)
- Diego Armando Maradona 1960
- Ty Detmer 1967
- Gavin Rossdale (Bush) 1967
- Nia Long 1970
- T3h Bax0jayz! (Bobby the Blue) 1971 - accountant, drummer, blogger, supreme dictator of the universe, will become a saint.
- Kassidy Osborn (SHeDAISY) 1976
- Christopher Backus 1981