chicanery \shih-KAY-nuh-ree\, noun:
1. The use of trickery or sophistry to deceive (as in matters of law).2. A trick; a subterfuge.
Chicanery comes from French chicaner, "to quibble, to use tricks," perhaps from Middle Low German schicken, "to arrange," with the sense "to arrange to one's own advantage."
- Wearing the same old Halloween costume to parties, year after year.
It's deja boo all over again.
- An annual excuse for girls to dress like sluts and get away with it.
Girl 2: What's your costume look like?
Girl 1: I'm wearing my ______ underwear and _____ bra and heels.
- Usually turnips—but sometimes beets, rutabagas, or potatoes. The custom of carving turnip lanterns for Halloween originated in Ireland. When the Irish began immigrating to the U.S., they switched to pumpkins, which were more readily available, bigger, and easier to carve.
- Mount Rushmore: drilling and sculpting work on the four presidents' heads near Keystone, South Dakota, was finished (1941)
- Indira Gandhi: the prime minister of India was assassinated outside her residence by her Sikh bodyguards (1984)
- Jan Vermeer 1632
- John Keats 1795
- Juliette Lowe 1860
- Chiang Kai-Shek 1887
- Ethel Waters 1896
- Cal Hubbard 1900
- Dale Evans 1912
- Dick Francis 1920
- Illinois Jacquet 1922
- Norodom Sihanouk 1922
- Barbara Bel Geddes 1922
- Anita Kerr 1927
- Lee Grant 1930
- Michael Collins 1930
- Dan Rather 1931
- Phil Goyette 1933
- Michael Landon 1936
- Tom Paxton 1937
- Ron Rifkin 1939
- Otis Williams (The Temptations) 1941
- David Ogden Stiers 1942
- Sally Kirkland 1944
- Kinky (Richard) Friedman 1944
- Russ Ballard 1947
- Frank Shorter 1947
- Deidre Hall 1948
- John Candy 1950
- Jane Pauley 1950
- Lynda Goodfriend 1950
- Dan Spring 1951
- Bernard Edwards (Chic) 1952
- Rob Schneider 1964
- Darryl Worley 1964
- Annabella Lwin (Bow Wow Wow) 1965
- Adam Horovitz (King Ad-Rock of the Beastie Boys) 1966
- Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne) 1967
- Vanilla Ice (Robert Van Winkle) 1967
- Fred McGriff 1968
- Linn Berggren (Ace of Base) 1970
- Eddie Kaye Thomas 1980