mana \MAH-nuh\, noun:
- A generalized, supernatural force or power, which may be concentrated in objects or persons.
- An ancient kingdom in Iran, in Kurdistan.
Mana is adopted into English from a Maori word meaning "power, authority, supernatural power."
- Rooting for a football player you would normally root against because the player is on your fantasy football team.
As the home team was losing, the crowd became frustrated with John's fantasy cheering for the opposing quarterback.
- Battle of Lepanto: victory of Christians over Ottoman Empire (1571)
- Cats: long-running musical based on T.S. Eliot's poems opened on Broadway (1982)
- Achille Lauro: Italian ship was hijacked by Palestinian terrorists; Leon Klinghoffer, a wheelchair-bound passenger, was killed the next day (1985)
- gubernatorial recall: California governor Gray Davis was replaced by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the state's first gubernatorial recall election (2003)
- James Whitcomb Riley 1853
- Niels Bohr 1885
- Henry Wallace 1888
- Andy Devine 1905
- Vaughn Monroe 1911
- Jo (Jonathan) Jones 1911
- Alfred Drake 1914
- June Allyson 1917
- Martha Stewart (Haworth) 1922
- Al Martino 1927
- R.D. Laing 1927
- Diana Lynn 1927
- Desmond Tutu (South Africa) 1931
- Imamu Amiri Baraka 1934
- Thomas Keneally 1935
- Charles Dutoit 1936
- Gary Bergman 1938
- Martin Murray (Honeycombs) 1941
- Oliver North 1943
- Kevin Godley (10cc, Godley & Creme) 1945
- David Hope (Kansas) 1949
- Kiernan Kane (The O'Kanes) 1949
- John Cougar Mellencamp 1951
- Jacques Richard 1952
- Vladimir Putin 1952 - Russian dictator
- Michael W. Smith 1957
- Simon Cowell 1959 - Judge on "American Idol"
- Judy Landers 1961
- Toni Braxton 1968
- Thom York (Radiohead) 1968
- Nicole Air Parker 1970