ullage \UHL-ij\, noun:
1. The amount by which the contents fall short of filling a container, as a cask or bottle.2. The quantity of wine, liquor, or the like, remaining in a container that has lost part of its contents by evaporation, leakage, or use.3. In rocketry, the volume of a loaded tank of liquid propellant in excess of the volume of the propellant; the space provided for thermal expansion of the propellant and the accumulation of gases evolved from it.
The ultimate source of ullage is the French ouil, "eye or hole," which comes from combination of the Latin oculus, "eye" and the suffix -age, designating an abstract condition.
Bitchy Men Syndrome. Male version of PMS.
Geez, that guy is so BMSing.
- Knute Rockne: the college football coach delivered his famous "Win one for the Gipper" speech, after which his Notre Dame team defeated Army (1928)
- Iwo Jima Memorial: the Marine Corps War Memorial was dedicated in Rosslyn, Virginia (1954)
- Sesame Street: the Muppets-based series from the Sesame Workshop premiered (1969)
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial: opened to visitors in Washington, DC (1982)
- Martin Luther 1483
- Oliver Goldsmith 1728
- Jared Kirtland 1793
- Jane Froman 1907
- Billy May 1916
- George Fenneman 1919
- Russell Johnson 1924
- Richard Burton 1925
- Paul Bley 1932
- Bobby Rush 1934
- Roy Scheider 1935
- Albert Hall 1937
- Russell Means 1940
- Tim Rice 1944
- Alaina Reed-Hall 1946
- David Loggins 1947
- Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake & Palmer) 1948
- Ronnie Hammond (Atlanta Rhythm Section) 1950
- Chris Gage 1968
- Eve 1978
- Martina Jacová (aka Kyla Cole) 1978
- Chris Jannou (Silverchair) 1979