powwow \POU-wou\, verb:
1. To confer.
1. A ceremony, esp. one accompanied by magic, feasting, and dancing, performed for the cure of disease, success in a hunt, etc.2. A council or conference of or with Native Americans.
Powwow derives from the Narragansett tribal word for a spiritual leader who receives guidance from dreams.
This is actually happening
- A phrase for use to highlight an ensuing awkward or unbelievable event. Mentioning that it is 'actually happening' helps to address either the awkwardness or awesomeness in the situation to everyone present. Therefore, can be used as a positive reinforcement to encourage the behaviour or as a negative reinforcement to discourage the offender.
Use in positive situation: Three hot women approach man and his friends in a bar and ask if they can join them.
Lucky Man: "This is actually happening."
Use in negative situation: A friend among a group starts to complain about other members of the group in an irrational and mood-ruining manner.
Any other group member: "This is actually happening."
- Boxing Day (Canada)
- Kwanzaa begins
- Winston Churchill: became the first British prime minister to address a joint session of US Congress, warning against the Axis powers (1941)
- The Glass Menagerie: Tennessee Williams' play opened in Chicago (1944)
- Time magazine: Man of the Year was "the computer" (1982)
- tsunami: huge wave triggered by an earthquake in the Indian Ocean killed more than 216,000 (2004)
- Thomas Gray 1716
- Juan Lovera 1778
- Mao Zedong (Tse-tung) 1893 - Chinese statesman (Obama's idol)
- Richard Widmark 1914 - Actor
- Steve Allen 1921 - Comedian, actor, composer. First host of "The Tonight Show." Films: The Benny Goodman Story (1955), The Comic (1969), Casino (1995). Scores: A Man Called Dagger (1968) and the CBS musical Alice in Wonderland (1985).
- Alan King 1927 - Actor, comedian, producer: Films: Enemies, A Love Story and Casino
- Jane Lapotaire 1944
- John Walsh 1945 - TV host ("America's Most Wanted")
- Joyce Jillson 1946
- Carlton Fisk (MLB) 1947
- Ozzie Smith 1954
Temuera Morrison 1960 - Jango Fett
Tahnee Welch 1961 (bottom)
- Lars Ulrich 1963 - "drummer" (Metallica)
- Audrey Wiggins 1967 - Country musician
- Peter Klett 1969 - (Candlebox)
- Jared Leto 1971 - Actor (American Psycho), musician (30 Seconds to Mars)Chris Daughtry 1979 - singer