tristful \TRIST-fuhl\, adjective:
- Full of sadness; sorrowful.
Tristful stems from the Old French triste, "sad."
- A feeling common during the month of December. It is the need to buy many overpriced gifts for your family, normally on a credit card. The buyer feels no feelings of regret for the rest of the month, as he/she feels they are being a good person. The Christmas buzz is always followed by the New Year's hangover, when the credit card bill comes in and the buyer goes on a rant about how much money they have spent.
You're buying a nintendo wii off ebay for 500 dollars for your kid? Must be the Christmas buzz.
- Napoleon Bonaparte: was crowned emperor of France at Notre Dame (1804)
- Monroe Doctrine: was articulated by President James Monroe; it told Europe to stay out of the Americas (1823)
- EPA: Richard Nixon established a federal agency to set and enforce national pollution-control standards (1970)
- scientific experimentation: Enrico Fermi produced the first nuclear chain reaction at the University of Chicago (1942); Louis Paul Cailletet liquified oxygen (1877)
- artificial heart: Barney Clark was the recipient of the first such transplant, a Jarvik-7; he lived for 112 days (1982)
- Benazir Bhutto: was sworn in as Prime Minister of Pakistan, becoming the first woman to head a modern Muslim nation (1988)
- Edwin Meese III 1931
- Cathy Lee Crosby 1948
- John Wesley Ryles 1950
- Keith Szarabajka 1952
- Dan Butler 1954
- Nate Mendel (Foo Fighters) 1968
- Jimi Haha (Jimmie's Chicken Shack) 1968
- Anthony "Treach" Criss (Naughty By Nature) 1970
- Monica Seles 1973
- Nelly Furtado 1978
- Britney Spears 1981