engram \EN-gram\, noun:
1. The supposed physical basis of an individual memory in the brain.2. A presumed encoding in neural tissue that provides a physical basis for the persistence of memory; a memory trace.
Engram derives from the Greek roots en, "within," and gram, "something written."
- The exact opposite of volunteering. Always used in reference to an unpleasant task to which you have been assigned by your boss.
Co-worker 1: I hear you got a transfer.
Co-worker 2: Yeah. I didn't want to, but I was voluntold.
Co-worker 1: You want to go fishing Saturday???
Co-worker 2: I can't, I got voluntold I have to work this weekend.
- Thomas Becket: the Archbishop of Canturbury was killed by four knights in his cathedral; he later became a saint (1170)
- Texas: Lone Star State became the 28th American state (1845)
- YMCA: the first such men's club in the US was founded, based on the London model that was started in the previous decade by George Williams (1851)
- Wounded Knee Massacre: last major confrontation between the Sioux and the US Army ended with hundreds of Indians killed (1890)
- Tian Tan Buddha: 110-ft.-(34 m.)-tall bronze Buddha statue in Hong Kong was completed (1993)
- Guatemala: peace treaty ended 36 years of civil strife (1996)
- Marquise de Pompadour 1721
- Charles Goodyear 1800
- Andrew Johnson (U.S.) 1808
- William Gladstone 1809
- Pablo Casals 1876
- Viveca Lindfors 1920
- William Gaddis 1922
- Rose Lee Maphis 1922
- Dina Merrill 1928
- Inga Swenson 1932
- Tom Jarriel 1934
- Ed Flanders 1934
- Ray Nitschke 1936
- Jon Voight 1938
- Mary Tyler Moore 1938
- Ed Bruce 1940
- Ray Thomas (Moody Blues) 1942
- Marianne Faithfull 1946
- Ted Danson 1947
- Cozy Powell 1947
- Jon Polito 1950
- Gelsey Kirkland 1952
- Yvonne Elliman (Jesus Christ Superstar) 1953
- Ed Autry 1954
- Neil Geraldo 1955
- Paula Poundstone 1960
- Mark Day (Happy Mondays) 1961
- Jim Reid (The Jesus and Mary Chain) 1961
- Jason Gouuld 1966
- Mystro Clark 1966
- Glen Phillips (Toad the Wet Sprocket) 1970
- Jude Law 1972
- Shawn Hatosy 1975
- Jessica Andrews 1983