HAPPY NEW YEAR!
plenipotentiary \plen-uh-puh-TEN-shee-air-ee; -shuh-ree\, adjective:
- Containing or conferring full power; invested with full power; as, "plenipotentiary license; plenipotentiary ministers."
- A person invested with full power to transact any business; especially, an ambassador or diplomatic agent with full power to negotiate a treaty or to transact other business.
Plenipotentiary derives from Latin plenus, "full" + potens, "powerful."
- Hooking up with someone who you've spoken less than 140 words to.
Sarah: How did you meet Rafael?
Jenn: At some random friend-of-a-friends' party. I'm not sure even how we ended up in bed. We pretty much met over brunch the next morning.
- New Year's Day
- Liberation Day (Cuba)
- Independence Day (Haiti)
- The Times of London: first edition was published under this title; it was previously known as The Daily Universal Register (1788)
- Ellis Island: opened (1892); over the next 60-plus years, some 20 million immigrants were processed through its stations
- New York City: was chartered with 4 boroughs — Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens; Staten Island followed a few weeks later (1898)
- Australia: Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and Northern Territory became a single nation (1901)
- St. Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line: world's first scheduled airline had its maiden flight, connecting St. Petersburg and Tampa, Florida (1914)
- Czechoslovakia: peacefully split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia (1993)
- euro: coins and notes were launched, creating the Eurozone (2002)
- Bartolomé Murillo 1617
- Paul Revere 1735
- Betsy Ross (Elizabeth Griscom) 1752
- George Washington Carver 1860
- E.M. Forster 1879
- Edie Martin 1880
- John Garand 1888
- Alessandro de Stefani 1891
- J. Edgar Hoover (U.S.) 1895
- Xavier Cugat 1900
- Bradford Ropes 1905
- Louis W. Parker 1906
- Barry Goldwater 1909
- Basil Deardon 1911
- Dana Andrews 1912
- Marvin Camras 1916
- Earl Wrightson 1916
- J.D. Salinger 1919
- Carole Landis 1919
- Milt Jackson 1923
- Bernard Kliban 1935
- Frank Langella 1940
- Don Novello 1943
- Daimi 1944
- Steve Ripley (The Tractors) 1950
- Grandmaster Flash 1958