sockdolager \sok-DOL-uh-jer\, noun:
1. A decisive reply, argument.2. Something unusually large, heavy, etc.3. A heavy, finishing blow.
Sockdolager is an odd American combination from the 1830s. Its probable components are sock, as in "striking a blow," and doxology, "a fervent hymn to god." Sockdolager is also possibly the last word Abraham Lincoln heard before he was assassinated.
Area Code DNA
- Determining someone's place of origin by checking out their cell phone number's area code. Even if they move cross country, people often keep their cell phone numbers to avoid losing contact with friends, or, simply because it's convenient. Interpreting their retained area code gives a ready glimpse into the history of the person.
Dude1: That girl is hot! Is she from around here?
Dude2: Her cell phone number starts with 619. Area code DNA tells me she's from San Diego.
- Gene Freese 1934 - Baseball
- Yvette Mimieux 1941 - Actress ("The Time Machine", "The Most Deadly Game")
- Stephen Hawking 1942 - Theoretical physicist, writer (A Brief History of Time)
- Ron Ellis 1945 - Hockey player
- Robby Krieger 1946 - Musician (The Doors)
- David Bowie (David Robert Jones) 1947 Singer, movies
- Terry Sylvester 1947 (Hollies, Swinging Blue Jeans)
- Joe Reed 1948 - Football player
- John McTiernan 1951 - Director
- Calvin Smith 1961
- Maria Patillo 1965 - Actress
- R. Kelly 1969
- Ami Dolenz 1969 - Actress
- Jeff Abercrombie - Musician (Fuel)
- Jenny Lewis 1976 - Actress
Genevieve Nicole Cortese Padalecki 1981- Actress ("Supernatural")