paphian \PEY-fee-uhn\, adjective:
1. Of or pertaining to love, esp. illicit physical love.2. Of or pertaining to Paphos, an ancient city of Cyprus sacred to Aphrodite.3. Noting or pertaining to Aphrodite or to her worship or service.
Paphian relates to the ancient Greek paphios, "of the Greek goddess Aphrodite."
- The team you start to root for after your home team is knocked out of the playoffs or if they just suck.
Guy 1: I can't believe the ravens lost to the steelers
Guy 2: Yeah same here. The Jets are my rebound team because they play the steelers next
- Caligula: Roman emperor who had a reputation for freakish behavior was assassinated by his Praetorian Guards (41)
- gold rush: a gold nugget was found at Sutter's Mill in northern California; President Polk announced the find in December and the gold rush began (1848)
- Robert Baden-Powell: organized the first Boy Scout troop in England (1908)
- Eskimo Pie: chocolate-covered vanilla ice cream bar was patented by Christian K. Nelson; it aimed to satisfy cravings for ice cream and chocolate bars at once (1922)
- St. Petersburg: Russian city was renamed Leningrad three days after Lenin's death (1924)
- Shoichi Yokoi: Japanese soldier was discovered hiding on Guam, 28 years after American forces reconquered the island in the Battle of Guam (1972)
- Department of Homeland Security: began operations, headed by Tom Ridge (2003)
- Neil Diamond 1941
- Yakov Smirnoff 1951
- Mischa Barton 1986