dharna \DAHR-nuh\, noun:
- In India,the practice of exacting justice or compliance with a just demand by sitting and fasting at the doorstep of an offender until death or until the demand is granted.
Dharna is a Hindi word literally meaning "a placing."
Crushing the book
- Using facebook in any way shape or form
When someone is distracted by their lap top or phone you ask them if they are "crushing the book"? Because people tend to become less connected to those around them when they are running all over facebook.
- Anne Boleyn: already pregnant, the lady-in-waiting was wed in secrecy to King Henry VIII of England (1533)
- Nellie Bly: circumnavigated the globe in 72 days, besting Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days (1890)
- Winter Olympics: were played for the first time in Chamonix, France in the 1st Olympic Winter Games (1924)
- Emmys: the first awards for excellence in TV were presented for local Los Angeles productions; Shirley Dinsdale was the first winner (1949)
- jet age: American Airlines ran its first scheduled transcontinental flight of a Boeing 707 (1959)
- OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb: discovery of an extrasolar planet was announced; it orbits the star OGLE-2005-BLG-390L and lies near the center of the Milky Way (2006)
- Robert Burns 1759
- W. Somerset Maugham 1874
- Ernst F. W. Alexanderson 1878
- Virginia Woolf 1882
- Earnie Halwell 1918
- Edwin Newman 1919
- Barbara Carroll 1925
- Eduard Shevardnadze (Georgia) 1928
- Dean Jones 1931
- Corazon Aquino 1933
- Alicia Keys 1981