halcyon \HAL-see-uhn\, noun:
1. A kingfisher.2. A mythical bird, identified with the kingfisher, that was fabled to nest at sea about the time of the winter solstice and to calm the waves during incubation.
- 1. Calm; quiet; peaceful; undisturbed; happy; as, "deep, halcyon repose."
- 2. Marked by peace and prosperity; as, "halcyon years."
Halcyon derives from Latin (h)alcyon, from Greek halkuon, a mythical bird, kingfisher. This bird was fabled by the Greeks to nest at sea, about the time of the winter solstice, and, during incubation, to calm the waves.
retard in aluminum foil
- What a lady's knight in shining armor becomes when she really gets to know him.
I thought he was my knight in shining armor. Turns out, he was just a retard in aluminum foil!
- Grand Canyon: the enormous gorge was established as a national park (1919); Grand Teton National Park was established on the same date in 1926
- Levi Strauss 1829
- Jackie Gleason 1916
- Mason Adams 1919
- Tony Randall 1920
- Betty Hutton 1921
- Margaret Leighton 1922
- Fats Domino 1928 - Musician
- Mitch Ryder 1945 - Singer
- Bob "The Bear" Hite 1945 - Musician (Canned Heat)
- Sandie Shaw (Sandra Goodrich) 1947 - Singer
- Priscilla Lopez 1948
- Jonathan Cain 1950 - Musician (Babys, Journey)
- Suzi Simpson 1968 - playmate from Athens, Greece (Jan, 1992)