Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Review Tuesday: Alcatel OneTouch

Alcatel OneTouch

I have had Windows phones for years. They do the job I need it to reasonably well. But occasionally there came an App that I needed that I couldn't access the same info through a browser. Of course, these same Apps refused to work on an Android tablet, so I needed to score a phone specifically to accommodate these particular programs. I needed something down and dirty and CHEAP because I have no plans to switch phones anytime soon.  My choice...

Alcatel OneTouch
  • Display: 5-Inch diagonally, Resolution: 480 x 854
  • Camera: Back: 5MP with autofocus, Front: .3MP (VGA). 720p Video Recording, Back facing Single LED Flash
  • Memory: 4 GB internal, with 2 GB available to the user for apps, pictures, downloads, etc. Ability to change default write location of media.
  • RAM: 1 GB (909MB total, about 500MB usable for apps)
  • OS: Android 4.4.2 KitKat, Processor: Snapdragon 200, 1.2 Ghz quadcore. ARMv7 rev 3
  • Speakers: Front facing (for calls), Back facing (for media), Battery: 2000 mAh
You get all this for under $20 NEW at various retailers. 

The good. 
  • You get a fully functional Android phone dirt cheap.
The bad.
  • Low RAM
  • Small ROM
  • Crap cam 
  • poor response touch-screen
  • Feels like a toy
  • Terrible battery life
So, for what I needed it for, it did the job. It can connect to WIFI and download updates and make the few apps I need work. But if I needed this as a regular phone, I would be very unhappy. I am something of a minimalist, but this is an extreme. Unless you want this as a back up I would not recommend this for regular use.

AMAZON

0 comments: