Tuesday, September 03, 2019

Review Tuesday: The ALTimate Tour: LIVE & BUSH at Jones Beach Theater


The ALTimate Tour
LIVE & BUSH
at Jones Beach Theater
August 29, 2019

Sometimes I hear myself saying that I'm getting too old for this concert bullshit. Going to a show and standing all night and getting home late just seems counter-productive especially on a work night. However, when a 90s nostalgia tour comes by, performs at one of my fav venues, Jones Beach Theater, and the tixx were super cheap on Living Social, how could I resist!

Our Lady Peace
The opening act was another 90s band. Despite knowing the band's name, I was completely unfamiliar with their body of work. Additionally, we sat down at about 7:55 PM and missed their entire set. I was told they went on at 7 PM sharp, playing to a largely empty stadium.

Setlist
  1. Drop Me in the Water 
  2. Innocent 
  3. Superman's Dead 
  4. Somewhere Out There 
  5. Clumsy 
  6. Starseed

Image may contain: one or more people, night and concert
LIVE
Part of the purpose of this tour is to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the release of Throwing Copper by LIVE. I always loved that record and as a result, the band. LIVE was the main draw for me to this show. They went on at 8:00 PM sharp.

Setlist
  1. All Over You 
  2. Selling the Drama
  3. Losing My Religion (R.E.M. cover)
  4. Shit Towne
  5. The Dolphin's Cry
  6. Paint It Black (The Rolling Stones cover)
  7. Lakini's Juice
  8. I Alone
  9. White, Discussion
  10. Heaven
  11. Turn My Head
  12. Lightning Crashes
They selected an extraordinary list of songs to play. They also chose some surprising covers to play as well. They put on a good show. Energetic and fun. The only problem was their sound guy. Their mix was off to the point they were distorting and the sound was muddied. To me it sounded like one of the guitars were either mic'd off wrong or the level was off, either from the amp or at the board. Despite that, it was a great set that I thoroughly enjoyed. 

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage and crowd
BUSH
I am not going to lie. I have never been a fan of BUSH. I was actually thrilled to see them closing out the show because that meant I could leave early and beat the traffic. It also amused me when the band took the stage to short bursts from the crowd yelling Gwen while Gavin wore something that looked like he got from Gwen's closet in the divorce. Of course, they went on stage about 45 minutes after LIVE got off. It seemed like an unnecessarily long break.

Setlist
  1. Machinehead 
  2. This Is War 
  3. Everything Zen 
  4. Body 
  5. The Sound of Winter
  6. The Disease of the Dancing Cats
  7. Bullet Holes
  8. Little Things
  9. Glycerine 
  10. Comedown
They opened with Machinehead, which happens to be one of three BUSH songs I actually like. Their sound was very good, all the levels seemed in their proper place. But I find their music dull and mostly guitar sound effects so I grew weary of their act and we left around the 4th or 5th songs in the set.

In the end, I would definitely say that for $20/ticket we got some great value. It was worth it even if you only liked one of the bands.

0 comments: