Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Review Tuesday: CASABLANCA (1942)

 
 
CASABLANCA
A cafe owner in Morocco has to decide whether or not to help his ex and her fugitive husband escape the clutches of the Nazis. 
Yep. I am definitely really late to this one. You need to understand my background in order to understand WHY I am late to this show. I grew in the 1970s. My mother had a strict NO BLACK & WHITE FILM policy. We have color TV! Watch color! So, there are volumes of classics I never got to see because we weren't allowed to see it. Fast forward years later, and I had a LOT to catch up on. FINALLY, I found that CASABLANCA was a recent in-flight movie and took advantage. 
 
Filmed during World War 2, it was depicting a current day scenario. Casablanca, a cafe owned by American Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) seems to be something of the center of attention in this town in Morocco. 
 
And then.. and then...
 
Nah. What is there to discuss? This movie is amazing and perfect. People speak so highly of "classic films" that I tend to have lower expectations because there is no way that they can measure up. But it sure did. It exceeded all expectations! There are so many lines that have become modern popular culture that when you experience them in this movie, it warms your heart. I adored this movie and highly recommend that everyone should, as well. This movie has encouraged me to watch more from Humphrey Bogart.  
 
 
 

0 comments: