Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Bloodbath at the IRS Corral

D'OH!!!!!!!!!

We are always happy to get new work and clients at my office. We got a call from a gentleman a couple weeks ago letting us know that he thinks he owes the Internal Revenue Service some payroll taxes and wants us to handle an audit scheduled for 11/10/04. We accepted the work, gathered the info requested and we figured this would be a quick fee.

But no...


The agent arrived with a pile of materials. All of it incriminating. I thought he was going to have US arrested just for representing this guy.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After he pounded my boss and me about how this guy was in noncompliance for a couple years, owes taxes, and may be "misclassifying" employees to evade taxes I walked out of the office on unsteady legs. By far this was the worst audit experiemce I've faced yet. Usually they look for info, ask a couple questions, and go. This time the agent even suggested that the client should consider bankruptcy. (What good that does I don't know, you're still repsonsible for taxes owed.)

So tomorrow I am heading down to get some paperwork to set some of the auditors questions straight, but it looks as though we won't have this client long with such a huge tax bill.


0 comments: