Monday, October 09, 2006

Columbus Day

Columbus Day is a strange holiday in my book. Some people are off, some aren't. The banks are all closed, as are the post offices. The stock market is open. Schools are closed. All I know is that I am at work. Back from vacation, and working on a strange holiday.

That's okay with me. With so many people off for the day, I PREFER to work on this day. Transit is empty and moving well. So is traffic on most roadways. This might be one of the best Mondays I can remember.

That aside, there's been one aspect about Columbus Day that always bothered me... it's a huge Italian Pride Day, since Christopher Columbus was an Italian. But wait, didn't Italy shun the great explorer? Indeed, yes! They didn't believe his crazy theory that you can reach the Far East by going West. A round world? That's crazy talk! Columbus had to go to the Queen of Spain and plead for his cause to get three ships for his earth shattering expedition. The Queen had the foresight to believe in this man. The Queen of Spain.

Thus, I have never understood why it's not a Spanish Pride holiday. They were smart enough to back up the explorer. It was Spanish resources that literally put the "New World" on the map.

But Spanish, Italian, whatever, it shall always remain a "strange holiday" in my book. That is, until I finally have off, then it'll become an awesome holiday!

0 comments: