Sunday, October 08, 2006

Mets win! Yanks lose!

I arrived to a very unsettled New York City. The perennial post season poster team, the New York Yankees were on the verge of elimination as the plane was landing. It was the fourth inning and they were already losing the game handily.

Later that night the Yanks went on to lose that game and all the hopes for another subway series. However, the Mets finished the sweep of the Dodgers. They're set for the next step.

What happened?

How can New York's darlings, team two hundred million, the Yankees fall so flat while the "lowly" Mets have been doing to well lately? Apparently, the Yanks have lost that fire in their belly. You have a bunch of huge egos on a team who all feel that if I don't do what I need to this inning, I'll do it in the next. They mailed it in.

This morning there are all sorts of discussions on what the Yankees will do next. They consistently fall apart in the post season. It seems like the loudest voices are calling for the firing of Joe Torre. I don't think he was the problem at all. He did all he could. He's done amazing things for this team. He just needs these guys to show up and play.

So, for the Yankee fans, there's always next year. Knowing George Steinbrenner, he'll go and drop another hundred million on some badly needed YOUNGER pitching staff. And it's been heard on the radio that they are looking to "Sweet" Lou Peniella to take over the reigns of the team. Time will only tell.

As for the Mets, I'm pulling for them. I've always loved the Mets. In 1986 I was in Bayside High School and the Mets did amazing things. It was a huge year, and it feels that way this year.

Go Mets!

0 comments: