scintillate \ SIN-tl-eyt \ , verb;
1. to twinkle, as the stars.
2. to sparkle; flash: a mind that scintillates with brilliance .
3. to emit sparks.
4. Electronics . (of a spot of light or image on a radar display) to shift rapidly around a mean position.
5. Physics . a. (of the amplitude, phase, or polarization of an electromagnetic wave) to fluctuate in a random manner. b. (of an energetic photon or particle) to produce a flash of light in a phosphor by striking it.
Origin: Scintillate is related to the Latin scintillāre meaning "to send out sparks, flash." It entered English in the early 1600s.
turn down for what
turn down for what
- rhetorical question used by teenagers. "turn up" is the act of getting drunk and high and being reckless so "turn down" would mean sobering up. turn down for what is really saying i am fucked up and will continue to be all night no matter what. the only appropriate answer to this question would be "nothing"
Johnny: turn down for what ?!
Ben: The cops and my dad.
Johnny: You're a pussy! TURN DOWN FOR NOTHING
- University Boat Race: Oxford bested Cambridge in the first of what is now an annual rowing race (1829)
- Alcoholics Anonymous: was founded by Dr. Bob Smith and Bill W., on the date of Smith's first full "dry" day (1935)
- Rape of Lidice: Nazis murdered all the men of Lidice and deported the women and children (1942)
- ballpoint pen: Lásló Bíró got a patent for a pen he had been developing for nearly a decade (1943)
- Affirmed: the thoroughbred became the eleventh and most recent winner of the Triple Crown (1978)
- Saul Bellow 1915
- Barry Morse 1919
- Prince Philip 1921 - Husband of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II
- Judy Garland 1922
- Earl Hamner, Jr. 1923 - Television writer and producer
- Nat Hentoff 1925 - Columnist
- June Haver 1926
- Elisabeth Shue 1963
- Emma Anderson 1967 - Musician (Lush)
- Faith Evans 1973 - Singer
- Hugh Dancy 1975 - Actor
- Shane West 1978 - Actor
- Lemisha Grinstead 1978 - Singer (702)
- DJ Qualls 1978 - Actor
- Hoku 1981 - Singer
- Tara Lipinsky 1982 - Figure skater
- Madeleine Thérèse Amélie Joséphine 1982 - Princess Madeleine of Sweden
- Leelee Sobieski 1983 - Actress