neologism \nee-OLL-uh-jiz-um\, noun:
1. A new word or expression.
2. A new use of a word or expression.
3. The use or creation of new words or expressions.
4. (Psychiatry) An invented, meaningless word used by a person with a psychiatric disorder.
5. (Theology) A new view or interpretation of a scripture.
The French word neologisme, from which the English is borrowed, is made up of the elements neo-, "new" + log-, "word" + -isme, -ism (all of which are derived from Greek).
- While you are driving and listening to music, you bang on the steering wheel as if it were a drum set.
"Would you please pay attention to the road and stop drum driving!?"
- Yuri Gagarin: cosmonaut became the first human in space, orbiting Earth in 89 minutes aboard the Vostok I (1961)
- Columbia: first space shuttle took its first test flight (1981)
- Henry Clay 1777 - "The Great Pacificator", U.S. Secretary of State under John Quincy Adams, three time unsuccessful candidate for president of United States. Quote: "I would rather be right than president."
- Lily (Alice) Pons 1895 - Singer, actress
- Sally Rand 1903
- Russ Garcia 1916 - Musician, composer, orchestra leader
- Ann Miller (Lucille Ann Collier) 1923 - Actress ("Sugar Babies", "Hit the Deck"), dancer
- Ned Miller 1925 - Country singer
- Jane Withers 1926 - Actress ("Bright Eyes")
- Tiny Tim (Herbert Khaury) 1930 - Ukulele playing, falsetto singer ("Tiptoe Through the Tulips")
- Billy (Richard) Vaughn 1931 - Musician, musical director, orchestra leader, baritone singer (The Hilltoppers)
- Montserrat Caballe 1933 - Opera singer
- Charlie (Charles Richard) Lau 1933 - Baseball player
- Judy Lynn 1936 - Country singer, entertainer ("The Judy Lynn Show"), U.S. Champion Yodeler
- Charles Napier 1936 - Actor
- Herbie Hancock 1940 - Jazz/fusion musician, composer
- Woody (Woodrow Thompson) Fryman 1940 - Baseball pitcher
- Frank Bank 1942 - Actor ("Leave it to Beaver")
- Terry (Walter) Harmon 1944 - Baseball player
- John Kay 1944 - Musician (Steppenwolf)
- Dan Lauria 1947 - Actor ("The Wonder Years", "Stakeout")
- David Letterman 1947 - TV host, comedian
- Scott Turow 1949 - Author ("Presumed Innocent", "The Burden of Proof")
- David Cassidy 1950 - Singer, actor ("The Partridge Family")
- Reuben Gant 1952 - Football player
- Pat Travers 1954 - Singer
- Andy Garcia 1956 - Actor ("When a Man Loves a Woman", "The Untouchables")
- Alex Briley 1956 - Singer (The Village People)
- Vince Gill 1957 - Musician, singer (Bluegrass Alliance, Sundance, The Cherry Bombs, Pure Prairie League)
- Suzzanne Douglas 1957 - Actress
- Will Sergeant 1958 - Musician (Echo & the Bunnymen, Elektrafixion)
- Art Alexis 1962 - Musician (Everclear)
- Deryl Dodd 1964 - Country singer
- Amy Ray 1964 - Singer, musician (Indigo Girls)
- Nicholas Brendon 1971 - Actress ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer")
- Guy Berryman 1978 - Musician (Coldplay), Coldplay Official Store
- Claire Danes 1979 - Actress ("Little Women", "Law & Order")
- Jennifer Morrison 1970 - Actress ("House M.D.")
- Jelena Dokic 1983 - Tennis player
- Brooklyn Decker 1987