Land of Nod \land-uhv-NOD\, noun:
- A mythical land of sleep.
Land of Nod is a pun on the biblical place-name, the country to which Cain journeyed after slaying Abel. See Genesis, 4:16.
- (noun) On Facebook, this term refers to a posted photo that features five or more people, all of whom have Facebook profiles and are accurately tagged.
At a dinner table of 10 people - "Let's get the waitress to take a picture of us! OMG, this is totally gonna be a Facebook bingo!"
- Olympics: the first modern games opened in Athens (1896)
- North Pole: Robert Peary and his assistant, Matthew Henson, along with four Inuit men, became the first visitors to the site; their claim has been disputed (1909)
- WWI: US declared war on Germany and entered the Great War (1917)
- Twinkie: golden sponge cake snack food with creamy filling was invented (1930)
- Teflon: nonstick coating was accidentally invented by Roy J. Plunkett (1938)
- Raphael Sanit 1483 - Artist
- Rose Schneiderman 1882 - U.S. women’s rights activist
- Walter Huston (Houghston) 1884 - Actor (Treasure of the Sierra Madre )
- Lowell Thomas 1892 - Broadcaster, journalist
- "Pappy" Wade Ray 1913 - Country musician, entertainer ("Grand Ol' Opry")
- Herb Thomas 1923 - NASCAR auto racer
- Mimi Benzell 1924 - Opera singer
- Dorothy Donegan 1924 - Jazz pianist
- Gerry Mulligan 1927 - Jazz musician, composer
- Joi Lansing (Joyce Wassmansdoff) 1928 - Actress ("Easter Parade", "Singin’ in the Rain")
- Barry Levinson 1942 - Director, producer
- John Stax 1944 - Musician (The Pretty Things)
- John Huarte 1944 - Football player
- John Ratzenberger 1947 - Actor ("Empire Strikes Back"' "Cheers")
- Bert (Rik Aalbert) Blyleven 1951 - Baseball pitcher
- Warren Haynes 1960 - Musician (Gov't Mule, The Allman Brothers)
- Frank Black 1965 - Singer, musician (The Pixies)
- Vince Flynn 1966 - Author
- Paul Rudd 1969 - Actor ("Friends")
- Jason Hervey 1972 - Actor ("The Wonder Years", "Back to the Future")
- Markku Lappalainen 1973 - Musician (Hoobastank)
- Zach Braff 1975 - Actor ("Scrubs")