juggernaut \JUHG-er-nawt\, noun:
1. Any large, overpowering, destructive force.2. Something, such as a belief or institution, that elicits blind and destructive devotion.3. An idol of Krishna, at Puri in Orissa, India, annually drawn on an enormous cart under whose wheels devotees are said to have thrown themselves to be crushed.
Juggernaut is a borrowing from Hindi with dramatic roots. The Hindu source Jagannath, is a name of the divinity Krishna, literally "lord of the world." Reputably, Jagannath also refers to an idol of Krishna, at Puri in Orissa, India, annually drawn on an enormous cart under whose wheels devotees are said to have thrown themselves to be crushed.
- The condition where a group of people sharing a living space each avoid doing a household chore for an extended period because each believes it's someone else's responsibility. The idea is that eventually the situation will reach a critical mass where the guilty party will cave in and do the chore. In practice, the situation can escalate to extreme levels.
"I'm not going to do the dishes. It's your turn."
"Yeah, but 90% of them are from the dinner you made for your girlfriend. I'm not cleaning up your mess."
"I'm not playing roommate chicken with you on this. Clean it up!"
"I'll die before I clean your mess."
- Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum: shrine to the US national pastime was dedicated in Cooperstown, New York (1939)
- Loving v. Virginia: US Supreme Court struck down all bans on interracial marriages (1967)
- Gossamer Albatross: human-powered aircraft was flown by Bryan Allen across the English Channel (1979)
- "Tear down this wall": challenge was issued by US President Ronald Reagan to Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev; the Berlin Wall did indeed come down two years later (1987)
- Jim Nabors 1930 - Actor, singer ("Gomer Pyle, USMC")
- Robert Bower 1936 - Attorney
- Chick Corea 1941 - Musician
- Marv Albert 1941 - Sportscaster
- Reg Presley 1944 - Musician (The Troggs)
- Wil Horneff 1979 - Actor
- Dallas Clark 1979 - Football player
- Adriana Lima 1981 - hot Brazilian supermodel