Occidental \ok-si-DEN-tl\, adjective:
1. Western.2. (Usually initial capital letter) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the Occident or its natives and inhabitants.
1. A native or inhabitant of the Occident.
Occidental derives from the Latin occidentem, "western sky, part of the sky in which the sun sets." The word has been used in relation to Oriental.
- When someone texts you completely random and/or insignificant information only pertaining to themselves, as if they were updating their Facebook status.
Lauren (via text): I'm taking pictures at my sister's wedding!!!
Grace (via text): Please, no status texting. Save that shit for Facebook.
- desegregation: the US Supreme Court ruled that restaurants in Washington, DC, could not refuse black patrons (1953)
- Scott O'Grady: US Air Force pilot was rescued by Marines; he had avoided capture for six days after being shot down over Bosnia (1995)
- PHP: scripting language was publicly released by Danish-Greenlandic programmer Rasmus Lerdorf (1995)
- Giovanni Domenico Cassini 1625
- Frank Lloyd Wright 1867
- Francis Crick 1916
- Robert Preston 1918
- Alexis Smith 1921
- George Kirby 1924
- Barbara Bush 1925 - Wife of President George H.W. Bush
- Jerry Stiller 1929 - Actor, comedian ("The King of Queens," "Seinfeld")
- James Darren 1936
- Bernie Casey 1939
- Nancy Sinatra 1940 - Singer
- Chuck Negron 1942 - Musician (Three Dog Night)
- Willie Davenport 1943
- Don Grady 1944
- Boz Scaggs 1944 - Singer
- Sara Paretsky 1947
- Mick Box 1947 - Musician (Uriah Heep)
- Sonia Braga 1950 - Actress
- Kathy Baker 1950 - Actress
- Alex Van Halen 1953 - Musician (Van Halen)
- Tony Rice 1951
- Bonnie Tyler 1953
- Griffin Dunne 1955 - Actor, director
- Keenan Ivory Wayans 1958 - Actor, director
- Nick Rhodes 1962 - Musician (Duran Duran)
- Robert Pilatus 1965 - Musician (Milli Vanilli)
- Doris Pearson 1966 - Musician (Five Star)
- Dan Futterman 1967 - Actor, screenwriter
- Julianna Margulies 1967 - Actress ("The Good Wife," "ER")
- Neil Mitchell 1967 - Musician (Wet Wet Wet)
- Kelli Williams 1970 - Actress ("The Practice")
- Nicci Gilbert 1970 - Musician (Brownstone)
- Mark Feuerstein 1971 - Actor
- Lindsay Davenport 1976 - Tennis player
- Kanye Omari West 1977 - Singer, rapper
- Maria Menounos 1978 - journalist
- Derek Trucks 1979 - Musician
- Sara Watkins 1981 - Musician (Nickel Creek)