casuistry \KAZH-oo-uh-stree\, noun:
1. Specious, deceptive, or oversubtle reasoning, esp. in questions of morality.2. The application of general ethical principles to particular cases of conscience or conduct.
Casuistry comes from the French casuiste and the Latin casus, "case," perhaps related to making a case or justifying behavior.
How is Everything Check
- The 2 minute check a waiter/waitress does after they bring your meal to the table.
Person1:"We need a new fork. This one fell on the floor."
Person2:"I'll ask the waiter to get a new one on his how is everything check."
- Baltimore: port town and industrial center was founded (1729)
- "La Marseillaise": the French national anthem was first sung in Paris (1792)
- In God We Trust: became the official motto of the US (1956)
- Kim Philby: the Soviet news service announced that the British intelligence officer and double agent had defected to the USSR (1963)
- Medicare: insurance program for senior citizens was signed into US law (1965)
- Jimmy Hoffa: the former Teamsters president disappeared in suburban Detroit; he has never been found, but he is presumed dead (1975)
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act: "Corporate Responsibility Act" — that tightened control of financial reporting and reduced the potential for fraud — was signed into law by President George Bush (2002)
- Emily Bronte 1818
- Thornstein Velben 1857
- Henry Ford 1863
- Vladimir Kosmo Zworykin 1889 - Invented the iconoscope, called the "Father of Television"
- Casey Stengel 1890
- Henry Moore 1898
- Dick Wilson 1916
- Richard Johnson 1927
- Christine McGuire (The McGuire Sisters) 1929
- Thomas Sowell 1930
- Edd "Kookie" Byrnes 1933
- Ben Piazza 1934
- Buddy Guy 1936
- Joe Nuxhall 1938
- Eleanor Smeal 1939
- Peter Bogdanovich 1939
- Paul Anka 1941
- David Sanborn 1945
- William Atherton 1947
- Arnold Schwarzenegger 1947
- Jean Reno 1948
- Frank Stallone 1950
- Ken Olin 1954
- Anita Hill 1956
- Delta Burke 1956
- Rat Scabies (Damned) 1957
- Kate Bush 1958
- Richard Burgi 1958
- Neal McCoy 1961
- Laurence Fishburne 1961
- Lisa Kudrow 1963 - Actress ("Friends")
- Vivica A. Fox 1964
- Dwayne O'Brien (Little Texas) 1964
- Christine Taylor 1971
- Hillary Swank 1974