- Of or relating to women.
- A staff for holding flax, wool, etc. for spinning.
- Women considered collectively.
- A woman's work or domain.
Etymology: From Old English dis- (bunch of flax) + staef (stick).
- Constant connectivity via your smartphone and computer blurs the boundaries between your work life and your personal life.
- Constant connectivity at work via e-mail & chat, results in so many interruptions that you cannot get blocks of time to do any thinking, resulting in you catching up on your work at home on nights and weekends.
This is the third e-mail from my boss this weekend. I'm a victim of workweek creep!
- William McKinley: US president was shot by an anarchist; he died eight days later (1901)
- Piggly Wiggly: the first self-service supermarket opened in Memphis, Tennessee (1916)
- Queen Juliana: popular monarch assumed the throne of the Netherlands, which she retained until 1980 (1948)
- Hendrik Verwoerd: South African prime minister was stabbed to death by a deranged parliamentary messenger in parliament in Cape Town (1966)
- Saint Petersburg: the original name was restored after the Russian city had been Leningrad since 1924 (1991)
- Cal Ripken Jr.: played in his 2,131st consecutive game and broke Lou Gehrig's "unbreakable" record (1995); his streak ended at 2,632 games on September 20, 1998
- Marquis de Lafayette 1757
- Jane Addams 1860
- Otto Kruger 1885
- Joseph P. Kennedy 1888 - bootlegger
- Billy Rose 1899
- Morgan Beatty 1902
- Maxie ‘Slapsie’ Rosenbloom 1904
- Vince DiMaggio 1912
- Jimmy Reed (Matthew James Reed Leland) 1925
- JoAnne Worley 1937
- David Allen Coe 1939
- Brian Smith 1940
- Mel McDaniel 1942
- Swoosie Kurtz 1944
- Roger Waters 1944 - Musician (Pink Floyd)
- Ron Boone 1946
- Jane Curtin 1947
- Claydes Smith 1948 - Musician (Kool & the Gang)
- Banner Thomas 1954 - Musician (Molly Hatchet)
- Joe Smyth 1957 - Musician (Sawyer Brown)
- Jeff Foxworthy 1958
- Michael Winslow 1960
- Perry Bamonte 1960 - Musician (The Cure)
- Paul Waaktaar 1961 - Musician (a-ha)
- Mark Chestnut 1963
- Rosie Perez 1964
- William DuVall 1967 - Musician (Alice in Chains, Comes With The Fall)
- CeCe Peniston 1969
- Darryl Anthony 1969 - Musician (Az Yet)
- Dolores O'Riordan (The Cranberries) 1971
- Justin Whalen 1974
- Nina Persson 1974 - Musician (The Cardigans)
- Foxy Brown 1979