Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Review Tuesday: The Curious Little Book of Extraordinary Big Tales by Richard Hennerley

The Curious Little Book of Extraordinary Big Tales
by Richard Hennerley
In the land of Anywhere, all sorts of fabulous and amazing things occur. 
I don't know how I got the idea to read this book. Did a friend recommend it? Was it one of those sales that Amazon pops up on the screen of a Kindle? I can't be sure, but I got a copy in Kindle format. THE CURIOUS LITTLE BOOK OF EXTRAORDINARY TALES is a collection of related stories from some imagined land. This fabled land, however, happens to have many similarities to our own, but I shall get to that shortly. 

The book starts off clever and quaint. You are introduced to trolls and mischievous fairies, ordinary folk, and the evil, ugly, stupid, money-hungry and rich 1% who keeps everything for themselves. 

As the pages turned I found myself scowling and grunting that this all sounds like some Bernie Sanders clap. The more I read, I realized it didn't seem as much as modern politics, but more like the anti-Semitic rhetoric coming out of Germany pre-World War Two. Surely I must be mistaken? Not really. At the end of the book is a short story in which the author discusses the lineage of his dachshund back to the one which was Hitler's main advisor. She advised him well, but she left him when Hitler attacked the Russians. Apparently the dog had no issues with genocide. 

I found a good chunk of the stories clever, and some even uplifting. Some, however, left me wondering about the author's intentions. I'd call this book MEH and not worth the price of a hard-copy since I can't find the link for a kindle edition.   

Get it on  AMAZON.

0 comments: