Tuesday, October 01, 2024

Review Tuesday: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

  Night of the Living Dead
 
Night of the Living Dead
(1968)
A group of people are forced to work together to ward off the living dead from an abandoned house they are hiding in for safety.
My parents had conflicting stories about what was the first movie they saw together. My father stated that NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD was their selection for their first movie. He recounted how they had never seen anything like it before and how creepy it was in that day and age. Indeed, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is credited by many as the original zombie horror film. 
 
I had never gotten around to seeing it. My mother had a strict no-b&w films on our color TV rule so I never saw while I lived under their roof. After going off on my own, I compiled a huge list of classics that I had to catch up on. That said, it wasn't until a year ago that I actually caught up with this piece of classic horror. 

Okay, by modern standards, the special effects weren't too impressive. It wasn't too easy to discern who was living and who was dead other than the obvious appetite that the dead had for consuming warm, living flesh. 
 
In the end, I found it enjoyable. You see where the zombie fascination our culture has comes from. It set the pace for the zombie genre to come. Definitely fun and worth your time to watch. 

0 comments: