Tuesday, February 16, 2010

In Print: The Path of My Life by Theophanis Karakostas

My mother-in-law knows I enjoy reading books on varied topics, so she handed me this book by a friend of hers, "The Path of My Life" by Theophanis Karakostas.

The way the book was printed was clever to start with. It's half in Greek and half in English. Rather than having the two languages completely separate, the two ran page by page, side by side.

What I found most interesting was the first person account for the history of Greece starting from the Second world War.

While the book was educational, the biggest problem is that the book needed a lot of editing. The details were fine, it's what was left out that an editor would've noticed that could've made this a great book. For instance, he discussed the war, then discusses the occupation by the guerrillas. The reader might not have been able to tell apart WWII and the Greek Civil war.

I wouldn't recommend this book unless you already have a background in Greek history of the 20th century.
Pella Publishing:
http://www.pellapublishing.com/books/path-my-life.php

0 comments: